We feel strongly that farm animals should be managed in a production system that allows them to freely exhibit all of their natural behaviours. This includes being:
- free to graze pasture
- free to experience sunshine, wind and rain
- permitted free access to clean fresh water and good feed
- free to express instinctive behaviours
- free from pain, discomfort and disease
- free from fear and distress
- protected from predators
- able to nurture their young
- free from hormones, growth promotants and antibiotics
We also believe strongly in the need to conserve farm animal genetic diversity and so we choose to use only the rare and endangered breed – the Wessex Saddleback in all of our meat products.
Wessex Saddleback pigs are listed as an endangered breed by the Rare Breeds Trust of Australia and in 2011 were included on the international Slow Food Ark of Taste.